It is through alignment of the body that I discovered the alignment of my mind, self, and intelligence. ~ B.K.S. Iyengar
Iyengar Yoga was developed by yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar during his more than 75 years of teaching, and is grounded in the ancient Indian tradition and philosophy of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Through his dedicated, research-based practice and studies, B.K.S. Iyengar evolved a safe and systematic progression of study for developing strength, flexibility and balance for the whole person: body, mind and spirit. The method became known as “Iyengar Yoga,” a term coined by his students, and is characterized by alert practice, dynamic actions, and reflective and embodied experience.
Profound, intelligent and transformative, Iyengar Yoga is a complete approach to life that provides practical tools to create and maintain bodily health and vitality, mental clarity, emotional serenity and spiritual well-being.
As animals we walk the earth. As bearers of a divine essence, we are among the stars. As human beings, we are caught in the middle, seeking to reconcile the paradox of how to make our way upon the earth while striving for something more permanent and more profound. ~ B.K.S. Iyengar
What is Unique to Iyengar Yoga
- A safe and systematic progression of yoga postures within each class and from week to week to develop the student’s capacity and skill.
- Sequences for learning postures that supports the development of strength, flexibility, alignment, stamina and concentration and prepares the body and mind for increasingly challenging poses.
- A highly developed teaching methodology and rigorously trained teachers. Certified teachers are experienced yoga practitioners trained in teaching the art and science of yoga using precise language, demonstrations and adjustments when needed. Each class is a unique experience with fresh sequences and perspectives to enhance learning. Modifications are provided for common physical issues.
- Use of props such as blankets, blocks, straps and chairs to make poses accessible to all ages and bodies, and to deepen the learning experience.
- Emphasis on alignment and precise actions are to develop a focused, reflective mind and avoid pain or injury. Each asana is presented as a “seat for meditation,” an opportunity to align body, mind and breath.
- Encouragement and resources for developing a home practice to accelerate learning.
- Yoga philosophy integrated with the teachings of asana and pranayama to deepen students’ experience and practice.
- Suggestions for applying yoga practice to daily life to alleviate anxiety and depression, promote restful sleep and increase overall sense of well-being.
Iyengar Yoga is a powerful and sophisticated discipline which can be practiced in all stages of life. The benefits are far-reaching and will assist the practitioner in every aspect of daily living.
The physical practice of yoga based on ancient wisdom:
- Rejuvenates and revitalizes the entire body,
- Stimulates blood supply to organs throughout the body, including the brain, improving sleep, memory and vitality,
- Develops a sense of calm, and reduces anxiety and depression.